Monday, February 4, 2008

Upside down Strawberry Yoghurt Cake




I bought some strawberries hoping that my daughter would like to try a new fruit (I dont remember ever buying strawberries in Chennai when she was younger, considering they cost the earth and then some) - she took a small bite and then very firmly told me "No berry amma!" shaking her pint sized head from side to side for added emphasis.

So that was that, as any mother of a 2.5 year old will tell you - and I was left holding a box of strawberries.
Both hubby and I are not strawberry lovers and we no longer live near a certain friend of ours who just loves strawberries in any form - even in her drinks!!! :)

Coincidentally,a few days later while searching for something else, I came across this recipe on Happy Burp which Vaishali made sound so simple, I just had to try it!

So I did, though instead of using strawberry yoghurt, I used plain yoghurt and added the fresh strawberries I had .
I reserved some to put on the base of the ring mould as a sort of an upside down cake and it made it look very pretty when it was done.
It seemed to remind me of those jam tart biscuits we used to get when we were young (pre Jurassic era!) - does anyone remember them? I haven't seen them at all since.

The proportions I used were exactly the same as the original recipe except that I didn't use a yoghurt pot but instead used one of my steel katoris (cups) which holds about 150ml of curd.

So 3 cups of flour (2 cups wheat flour and 1 cup refined flour) :2 cups of sugar:1 cup of yoghurt: 1/2 cup veg oil: 1 egg - as in the original recipe.

To this I added - 1 cup of chopped fresh strawberries and 1.5 tsp of baking powder and 4-5 tbsp of milk, since the batter seemed a bit too thick.

I reserved about 2 tbsp of the chopped strawberries and laid them out on the base of the greased cake tin and poured the batter over it.

Baked in a pre heated oven set at 180C/350F for about 35 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in the oven and then remove to a wire rack and let it cool completely.



The cake was moist and really soft. Since I had divided the cake batter into two portions, the second time around I left it in the oven for another 10 minutes after it was turned off, so that it was a bit more browned.

There was a faint aftertaste though and I'm not sure where that came from - accomplished bakers any ideas?.....but I would definitely make this again...

Thanks Vaishali - this recipe is a keeper!

This recipe is going to Bindiya's event "Few of my Favourite things" which she hosts on her blog In Love with Food and the month's theme is cakes and muffins

10 comments:

FH said...

We love Strawberries at home Miri. Cake looks great, I would love a slice!:))

Anonymous said...

We're big fans of strawberries & when they're in season here I'll try this recipe. Fortunately, in California produce doesn't cost the earth! I love the cake & the story along with it. My daughter who is now 5 was the same way - best of luck!

I hope you have the chance to bake something for the Serendipity Bake Off. The prize is faaaabulous! And, international shipping is not a problem.

Miri said...

Thanks for that enoucraging note, I will try to bake something halfway decent! :)

Laavanya said...

My 2 yr old daugther likes strawberries a lot... maybe your daugther rejected since it was her first encounter. I find that it takes several tries for my daughter to begin liking something.
On the other hand it gave you the opportunity to try this beautiful cake. Yummy.

Trupti said...

like ur daughter my son did not like fresh strawberry but he likes any dish which contains strawberry. Thanks for recipe..I will try this recipe soon..& i am sure that my 2.5 yr son will love this cake.
Trupti

Deeba PAB said...

Hi Miri, Seriously this does look go. No eggs in this? Hmmm...was wondering about the after-taste. Maybe the baking powder should be just 1 tsp; or maybe that's just a berry cake after taste. It rose really well I can see. Great time for strawberries. try the panna cotta on your little one;my son said it was just like an ice-cream!! The kids LOVED it! BTW, are you on the Arusuvai chain & are you done yet? lemme know...LOL

Miri said...

OOPS thats the keen baker's eye Deeba - thanks for catching that, there definitely was one egg in this recipe, have added that now.

Maybe its the baking powder quantity...will see if the next time I bake any cake theres a difference

I have just got into the Arusuvai chain and still to receive my mystery packet!

The panacotta is a good idea, it looked so delicious, am sure the kids will like it.Thanks!

ns said...

hey! meera loves strawberries - i cook them a bit and add them to custard. she's too young and toothless to chompinto fruits unless they're made a little soft and mashed.
what temp is the oven set at for this recipe?

Miri said...

350F/ 180C Nina, for 35 minutes.....will put it into the post too.

Raaga said...

I'm a strawberry fan... next time, think of me!

This is incredibly similar to my raspberry ring cake: http://chefatwork.blogspot.com/2008/05/raspberry-raisin-ring.html