Thursday, December 10, 2009

Maw Gaeng - Thai Sweet Potato Pudding


I had some sweet potato as well as coconut milk left over from this recipe and just as I knew I wanted to make a nice one pot meal from those ingredients, I also knew that this had to go into a dessert. Luckily, there seems to be a recipe to match every mood of mine ;).

This Thai dessert (which seems to have several variations) is quite unusual in that it uses sweet potato (the dark pink, skinned root vegetable). The coconut milk and egg pudding combination is something I have seen in Sri Lankan cuisine too.

Very simple to make and equally easy to finish off! I imagine that it would be quite easy to make a vegan version with a substitute which can be used to replace the eggs.

Maw Gaeng - Thai Sweet Potato Pudding


2 eggs beaten lightly
Coconut milk extract - freshly squeezed from one half of a coconut (or use a cup of canned coconut milk)
1 cup sugar
2 sweet potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed.
cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp

1. Mix the beaten eggs, coconut milk and sugar in a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Add the mashed sweet potatoes and mix well, heat on low flame and keep stirring till the custard thickens - about 6-7 minutes.
3. Pre heat an oven to 180C and lightly grease a baking dish. Pour the custard into and bake for 45 minutes till golden brown on the sides and the top. A skewer inserted will not come out totally clean but not be sticky.
4. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream

7 comments:

Archana said...

This one's new...never heard of it...You seem to be into sweet potato big time now :) Am sure ti tasted yum with that coconut milk in it..

delhibelle said...

I'm going to try the eggless version, thanks for sharing

PJ said...

Nice recipe! This is similar to the yam pudding that I have had once but I bet the coconut milk adds a great texture and flavor!

Cham said...

I never tasted this Thai sweet... Another new and delicious recipe!

Anonymous said...

I have never tried Thai desserts, though I love, love Thai food, we never try the dessert at Thai place we go to

This looks real lovely

BongMom

Raaga said...

Have not even heard of this. But it seems to have all the flavours that I like. Sweet potato and coconut milk!

Rajani said...

hi miri, i've never eaten a sweet potato pudding! usually i love eating them plain boiled or in sambhar. i've got my website now, do visit - www.eatwritethink.com