Sunday, April 11, 2010

Wheat Pancakes - Doddak



My best friend is from Mangalore and I have literally lived in that house while in college and then my post grad studies. I have not met more warm and welcoming people and everytime I go back to Mumbai, its in their house I feel like I have come home.

Konkani food differs a from region to region as well as between the various communities ; but I love the coconut based, mild flavours of "amchi" food. Aunty S is a wonderful cook and I have some great memories of her randayi, dali, taak, ambat, sukke preparations. Batata song is one of my favourites and I make it at home quite often. I tried this version of saasam and it was good too.

Raaga from the Singing Chef is part Amchi and part Tamil so its great to read her blog with the mix of both cuisines. She lives in Gurgaon (where I work) so we have managed to connect on mail and phone, though we are still working on actually meeting in person! She has some great cupcake recipes and meal in a jiffy ideas - perfect for working women!

Singing Chef was the blog of the month for the Tried and Tasted event hosted by Divya of Dil Se but by the time I finally got around to making the wheat flour dosai I have been planning for a long time, the deadline was over...ah, well. The one at S pachhi's house, my friend told me when I was speaking to her today, is made of semolina and grated coconut. This one is made of wheat flour, coconut and a little semolina and is called Gave Pitye Doddak. Took just minutes to make and was a really filling breakfast, served with green chutney.


4 comments:

Red Chillies said...

Awww Miri, I felt so much at home reading about "Aamchi cooking", sukke, taak, ambat etc etc.
I have not tried this Doddak ( I assumed they were made with cucumbers), new to me. I hope to try it soon.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

nice..new to me

Bong Mom said...

I am not at all familiar with this cuisine but the way you wrote, wanted to have all of them :) This looks like a cross between Rava & Wheat Dosa, so sure would be great. Mine never spreads or flips that perfect

sangeeta said...

I am unaware of this cuisine though i'v had some exposure to Maharashtrian food....
this dosa i first thought was a sweet pncake as we make one which is called meetha cheela ( have posted on my banaras ka khana blog )..
i'd surely like it with coconut n coriander leaves combo...